Mr Matt Walters
Science Communication and Digital Imaging Technician
Phone: +64 3 369 5211 ext 95211
Postal address: School of Biological Sciences, University of Canterbury,
Private Bag 4800, Christchurch, New Zealand
- Science Communication - Teach and support students and staff in editing, design and print for posters, presentations and publications. Poster design booklet (4.5mb PDF), Figure design presentation (3.4mb PDF).
- Outreach - Manage, develop and present a range of Biology outreach modules to primary and secondary schools. Including Gel Electrophoresis Laboratory module. Coordinate school visits and student tours.
- Scientific Photography - Studio and location photos for thesis, posters, presentations and publication.
- Information Design - the translation of complex, unorganised, or unstructured data into valuable, meaningful information.
- Design of Technical Figures - Extensive experience designing figures for scientific publications to effectively communicate complex scientific information within the constraints of journal guidelines.
- Training and troubleshooting for graphics software - Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere, Acrobat, Dreamweaver.
- Web - maintain and develop content on the Biological Sciences websites.
- Plant photography guide Which Part of the Plant should I Photograph. (PDF, 5.2MB). Now also available in Spanish (PDF, 5.2MB)
- Botanical photography and taxonomy to produce An illustrated checklist of the flora of Ngel Nyaki Forest Reserve, Nigeria
- Phoptography and figure design for a research paper on Human-Assisted Spread of a Maladaptive Behavior in a Critically Endangered Bird. Featured on phenomena.nationalgeographic.com
- Design, photography and editing of Biomolecular Interaction Centre (BIC) Annual Report 2013 (PDF, 6MB)
- Design and publication of A Photographic Guidebook to the Freshwater Invertebrates of the Mambilla Plateau
- Blog written during visit research visit to a Nigerian Forest - www.projectREPORT.info
- Virtual field trip to ancient New Zealand. School outreach project on the Black Robin - www.blackrobin.org.nz
Recent Conference Poster Designs
- Vice-Chancellors General Staff Development Award, 2014. To learn advanced skills in plant taxonomy and science communication at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, UK.
- QEII Technicians Study Award, 2006. To investigate new techniques in science communication. Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, and Plant Sciences Department, University of Oxford, UK.
- QEII Technicians Study Award, 2002. To learn techniques in scientific photography with scientists in the field, Eastern Nigeria.
- Science Communicators Association of New Zealand (SCANZ) Board Member (2014-) Vice President (2015-)
- International Association of Business Communicators (IABC - South Island) Board Member. (2009-)
- UC Alumni Association Executive Commitee Member. 2003-08, 2010-11
- BIOL 211 - Teach insect photography laboratory
- BIOL 305 - Course technician and co-teacher of field course
- BIOL 405 - Teach 2 hour Poster design workshop
- BIOL 474 - Co-teach two 3-hour seminars on conservation biology, focusing on science communication
- CHEM 421 - Teach 2 hour Poster design workshop
- WATR 404 - Teach 2 hour Poster design workshop
- Communication Design workshop, Annually in Feb and July 2012-2016, postgraduate students of Biology and Chemistry, UC.
- Biology 474 Conservation Genetics, May 2016, co-presented two 3-hour seminars on species conservation, focus on communicating science.
- Twitter 101 - May 2016, Science Communicators' Association of New Zealand workshop (co-presenter)
- Communication Design Workshop - Conference Posters - May 2016, Waterways Centre for Freshwater Management postgraduate students
- Botanical Photography Seminar and Workshop, Annually 2009-2016, Biology 305 Practical Field Botany course.
- Poster Design Seminar, annually in November 2013-2015, He Puna Putaiao programme, Science Outreach, UC
- Communication Design - Effective Graphics - Nov 2015, Science Communicators Association of New Zealand National Conference
- 252 Black Robins, One Island, Many Stories - May 2015, A trilogy of stories presented to the Christchurch Bird Club
- Figure it Out, Workshop on designing technical figures - March 2015, Science Communicators Association of New Zealand, Christchurch
- Mastering MailChimp Workshop, Sept 2014, International Association of Business Communicators, South Island Branch
- Insect Photography Workshop, Sept 2014, Sept 2012, Biology 211 Invertebrate Biology class
- Adventures in Science Communication, August 2014, Ecopathways seminar series at Lincoln University
- Communication Design - Workshop on Conference Posters, Mar 2014, Science Communicators Association of New Zealand conference. Additional notes: Effective Poster Design (4.5mb pdf)
- Presentation Design Seminar, Sept 2013, Biological Sciences Postgraduate students
- Adventures in Science Communication, July 2013, Joint event by the International Association of Business Communicators (South Island) and The Science Communicators Association of New Zealand
- Introduction to Botanical Photography, Oct 2012, Christchurch Botanical Society
- A Trip to Ancient New Zealand, July 2010, Canterbury Science Teachers Association
- Rangatira Island Life, July 2009, Christchurch Bird Club
- Oppong, A., Offei, S.K., Ofori, K., Adu-Dapaah, H., Lamptey, J.N.L., Kurenbach, B., Walters, M., Shepherd, D.N., Martin, D.P. and Varsani, A. (2015) Mapping the distribution of Maize streak virus genotypes across the forest and transition zones of Ghana.Archives of Virology 160(2): 483-492. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00705-014-2260-7.
- Julian, L., Piasecki, T., Chrząstek, K., Walters, M., Muhire, B., Harkins, G.W., Martin, D.P. and Varsani, A. (2013) Extensive recombination detected among beak and feather disease virus isolates from breeding facilities in Poland. Journal of General Virology 94: 1086-1095.http://dx.doi.org/10.1099/vir.0.050179-0.
- Kraberger, S., Thomas, J.E., Geering, A.D.W., Dayaram, A., Stainton, D., Hadfield, J., Walters, M., Parmenter, K.S., van Brunschot, S., Collings, D.A., Martin, D.P. and Varsani, A. (2012) Australian monocot-infecting mastrevirus diversity rivals that in Africa. Virus Research 169(1): 127-136.http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.virusres.2012.07.018.
- Stainton, D., Kraberger, S., Walters, M., Wiltshire, E.J., Rosario, K., Halafihi, M., Lolohea, S., Katoa, I., Faitua, T.H., Aholelei, W., Taufa, L., Thomas, J.E., Collings, D.A., Martin, D.P. and Varsani, A. (2012) Evidence of inter-component recombination, intra-component recombination and reassortment in Banana bunchy top virus. Journal of General Virology 93(5): 1103-1119. http://dx.doi.org/10.1099/vir.0.040337-0.
- Julian, L., Lorenzo, A., Chenuet, J-P., Bonzon, M., Marchal, C., Vignon, L., Collings, D.A., Walters, M., Jackson, B. and Varsani, A. (2012) Evidence of multiple introductions of beak and feather disease virus into the Pacific Islands of Nouvelle-Calédonie (New Caledonia). Journal of General Virology 93(11): 2466-2472. http://dx.doi.org/10.1099/vir.0.045575-0.
- Massaro, M., Ortiz-Catedral, L., Julian, L., Galbraith, J.A., Kurenbach, B., Kearvell, J., Kemp, K., van Hal, J., Elkington, E., Taylor, G., Greene, T., van de Wetering, J., van de Wetering, M., Pryde, M., Dilks, P., Heber, S., Steeves, T.E., Walters, M., Shaw, S., Potter, J., Farrant, M., Brunton, D.H., Hauber, M., Jackson, B., Bell, P., Moorhouse, R., McInnes, K. and Varsani, A. (2012) Molecular characterisation of beak and feather disease virus (BFDV) in New Zealand and its implications for managing an infectious disease. Archives of Virology 157(9): 1651-1663. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00705-012-1336-5.
- Rosario, K., Marinov, M., Stainton, D., Kraberger, S., Wiltshire, E.J., Collings, D.A., Walters, M., Martin, D.P., Breitbart, M. and Varsani, A. (2011) Dragonfly cyclovirus, a novel single-stranded DNA virus discovered in dragonflies (Odonata: Anisoptera). Journal of General Virology 92(6): 1302-1308.http://dx.doi.org/10.1099/vir.0.030338-0.
- British Science Association Science Communication Conference, Manchester, 2015
- Science Communicators Association of New Zealand (SCANZ) Annual Conferences 2004-2015
- Public Communication of Science and Technology (PCST) Conference, Capetown 2002