Scholarships and Prizes in Biological Sciences
Scholarships and prizes for biology students: prospective-postgraduate students
All scholarships and prizes for students studying biology, or intending to study biology.
General scholarships available through UC's Scholarship's website
- Scholarships for you (Scholarships website)
Information and links to view available scholarships for Prospective, Undergraduate, Postgraduate and International students (not specific to Biological Sciences).
Fullbright Awards for NZ graduate students
Fulbright New Zealand offers a range of awards for New Zealand graduate students to study or research in the United States of America.
Awards are available to students with a four-year tertiary qualification who show academic excellence, leadership potential and the ability to be cultural ambassadors for New Zealand.
Grantees can undertake study or research in any field of study, at the US institution of their choice.
These awards are for promising New Zealand graduate students to undertake postgraduate study or research at US institutions in fields targeted to support growth and innovation in New Zealand.
Approximately ten awards valued at up to US$25,000 (plus travel expenses and insurance) are offered each year.
Research Costs, Conference Grants, Personal Monies
There are a number of small grants and scholarships that are offered to ongoing postgraduates to help with research costs, traveling to conferences, or just a top up of personal money. If your supervisors are from different departments or institutions, you may be eligible to apply for scholarships from all of those departments/institutions. Some societies, such as the Royal Society of New Zealand, provide grants to conferences. Also, conferences themselves often offer travel grants to students who are presenting.
The following is a list of scholarships to get you started.
But don’t hesitate to contact the university scholarship office, that’s what they are there for!
- Todd foundation awards for excellence
- Forest & Bird JS Watson Trust - conservation projects
- Forest & Bird, North Canterbury Branch, Stocker Scholarship - projects that increase our understanding of native flora and fauna
- Hellaby Indigenous Grasslands Trust - projects relating to NZ grassland ecosystems
- Brian Mason Trust
- NZ Biosecurity Institute - projects relating to biosecurity issues e.g. invasive species
- UC master's and doctoral scholarships
- Shirtcliffe Fellowship
- New horizons for women trust (inc) awards
- Lester Fund
- Laura J Clad memorial Scholarship
- Gertrude Ardagh Holmes Bursary Fund
- Freemasons Scholarships:
- NZ Federation of Graduate Women:
- Canterbury Community Trust Doctoral Scholarship
- NZ Federation of Graduate Women (NZ citizens only)
- Hellaby Indigenous Grasslands Trust (if you are already on a fellowship)
- NZ Ecological Society (if you are going to their conference, and especially if you are presenting a talk at their conference)
- Society for Freshwater Sciences - SIL trust award
- Claude McCarthy Fellowship